We have 112 guests and no members online

Timeline 1701 to 1800

 

 

Century 18 (mid) - D. Vito Joseph Diogo de Meneses de Noronha Coutinho (1739-1803), master of the horse of Queen Mary I, 5. º Marquis de Marialva (and 7th Earl of Cantanhede) sends erected in the neighborhood of San Pedro de Penaferrim vilegiatura of your home, the current Quinta do Espingardeiro.


Séc.18, mid - ran the coat stucco on the ceiling of the Palace attributed to the workshop of John Grossi - active in Portugal between 1748 and 1781
Century 18 1st half - D. John V designates the palace of Sintra as "beautiful palace of ancient kings" and orders conservation works carried out by Custódio Vieira (restoration of teco Room Swan) and Manuel Couto (restoration of the ceiling of the Sala das Pegas).
Century 18 - Coating tile the Capuchin Convent, D. John V grants the convent a barrel of oil per year.
Century 18 - Feitura the altarpiece of Penha Longa, second drawing of John Nunes Tinoco, although some argue is John Antunes (SERRÃO, 2003).
Century 18 - Feitura the altarpiece of Peninha second drawing João Nunes Tinoco and João Antunes probably.
Century 18 - Construction of the fountain of Mata Alva.
Century 18 - Reconstruction of the source of Pisões, consisting of 2 overlapping fountains that served rectangular tank, like the source of the Convent of the Trinity.
Century 18 - Implementation of the altarpiece, by António Martins Calheiros; panel painting of Our Lady of Mount Carmel by António Pereira Rovasco.
1703 - Appointment of Manuel Luis mason works to master the pipes of the Palace.
1706 - The side chapel of the Carmo Convent, on the Gospel side, hitherto invocation of Santa Ana, becomes the invocation of Christ, the image being changed to the altarpiece.
1709 - Luis Garcia Bivar purchase Quinta do Ramalhão starts and works at home.
1711 - Data entered in the main portal of the church of Santa Maria.
1711 - Dated tiles lining the church Peninha by António de Oliveira Bernardes; painting and placement of ashlar dome designed by PMP:
1712 - Father Carvalho da Costa refers to the existence of Mercy with seven chaplains and hospital.
1712/1740 - The son of Luis Bivar widens the field of Ramalhão buying surrounding land.
1715 - (Regaleira) the farm is bought by Francisco Alberto Guimarães de Castro, becoming known later by Quinta da Torre, possibly due to the existence of a tower, known as Tower of Pombal, is obtained permission to channel the waters mountains in order to feed a source adorned with embrechados.
1718 - Establishment of a bond, where the property was part of Montserrat, by D. Caetano de Mello e Castro, Commander of Christ and 36 Viceroy of India, married to D. Mariana Faro, the second daughter of Prince Condes Island; thereafter, the family Mello and Castro, residing in Goa, Monserrate administered by prosecutors, who chose the tenants or home locations to make the farm.
1720 - Friar Pedro da Conceição, the Convent of hermit Peninha refers sumptuous feasts 10-12 September in honor of Our Lady of Mercy, organizing bullfights and fire firework.
1721 - D. Jaime, 3rd Duke of commands Cadaval rebuild and redecorate the chapel of Mercy, coating its interior tiles, attributed to Antonio de Oliveira Bernardes, the path integrated chapel on Thursday.
1723, August 12 - the date of the tomb of King Anthony Castro Ribafria Saldanha de Albuquerque, a nobleman and knight Governor of Angola in Quinta da Penha Verde.
1726, September 18 - the hermit dies, Pedro Conceição, being buried in the nave of Capelada Peninha, succeeds him the hermit John Francis.
1727 - A treaty of medicine makes her allusion, given the properties of the waters of the Fountain of Sabuga.
1727 - Pedro de Castro Saldanha Ribafria sells its Palace (Sintra) Paul of Oak Ataíde, Archpriest of the Patriarchal Church, who later bequeathed to his nephew Sebastião José de Carvalho e Melo, Count of Oeiras and Marquis of Pombal, who commands make modernization work, introducing new elements especially abroad.
1727/1730 - D. John V visits the convent of Penha Longa, the 2nd time accompanied by Princess D. Mariana Victoria, at its own expense to rebuild various structures of fresh and pleasure.
1728 - Friar Antonio da Piedade describes the Capuchin convent as "between dense woods, tall cliffs, and wild trees, which his retreat in the Sierra produces more abundant."
1734 - It's foreman at the Palace Custódio Vieira.
1738 - Improvements in source S. Euphemia probable reconstruction of the room and baths at the expense of Captain Francisco Lopes de Azevedo.
1743 - Construction of water lines of the Carmo Convent, whose work was outlined by Friar José dos Santos.
1743, September 30 - Monastery of Pen-lightning partially destroyed the tower, the chapel (damaged stone trimmings, toppled parts of the dome and burned timbers, the body and the bars of the chorus), the sacristy and some wings of the building.
1744 - Luis Garcia Bivar King asks permission to Aqueduct Ramalhão.
1744 - Construction of the Aqueduct Ramalhão.
1748 - Completion of the expansion works of the Palace of Ramalhão that gave longitudinal feature.
1748 - 40 monks lived in the monastery of Pena.
Century 18, the second half - the fifth of Pisões was owned by the Dukes of Aveiro, following the process of Távoras, property is confiscated and the emprazada Manuel Caetano de Sousa Prego.
1754, August 8 - is named Carpenter Paço Francisco da Costa, with the salary of 400 $ 00.
1755 Morning 1-Nov-1755 - Great earthquake destroys much of Sintra leaving many buildings in ruins making them uninhabitable.
1755 - Major damage caused by the earthquake in Penha Longa Monastery and subsequent repair.
1755 - The earthquake caused enough damage in the Swan Room in the Palace, rebuilt the "old" initiative by the Marquis of Pombal, and overthrew the military tower that rose on the Hall of Arab causing some damage, restoration to office of Carlos Mardel with placement of merlons and edification of bodies ranging from garden patio of the Black tanquinhos and Hall of Halberdiers, joining the wings and Johannine Manueline covering a spiral staircase.
1755, November 1 - Deep in ruin Pena Monastery in the earthquake, leaving only a few rooms and a porch supported by the monks getting reduced to 5.
1755 - It Carancas destroyed the Palace, which served as a fortress to the Moorish Castle, and that have been built on the site where the house was built Italian.
1755 - Earthquake affects quite a chapel and partially destroys the Castle.
1755 - Rebuilding of the convent of the Trinity, following the damage caused by the earthquake.
1755 - The earthquake caused the crumbling church of San Miguel, and worship for this parish was transferred to the Chapel of St. Lazarus.
1755 - The earthquake caused him great harm to the Church of Santa Maria.
1755-The church of San Miguel stops being the parish seat.
1755 - The earthquake causes significant damage throughout the parish of St. Martin, not escaping the destruction Hospital, which led to the subsequent reconstruction.
1755, November 1 - the fifth part of the Chapel is destroyed by the earthquake, this time, Duke also organizes great festivities in honor of Our Lady of Mercy.
1755 - The earthquake causes significant damage to the church of Mercy, proceeding up the repair, with reports of payments made by removing debris from inside.
1755 - The earthquake causes significant damage in the parish of St. Martin, and specifically in the parish church, in which there is the collapse of the roof.
1755/1784, Monserrate - was tenant Francisco da Costa Gomes, who paid the annual rent of 350 $ 00; probable restoration of the house, as proposed Inácio de Oliveira Bernardes.
1755/1786 - It was the 2nd bond administrator Monserrate D. Francisco de Mello and Castro, second son of the founder of the bond.
Century 18, 2nd half-The Clock Tower was built in the village today by Matthew Fernandes de Freitas initiative by the Marquis of Pombal, after the 1755 earthquake, which caused the collapse of the former from the floor where the machinery of clock.
1756 - Church of Mercy - Request to Cardinal Patriarch to build a "tent with altar" to be placed on the images that had been saved from the earthquake.
1757/1760 - Reconstruction of the church of Santa Maria at the expense of the prior Nunes Sebastião Borges and the beneficiaries: renovation of the main facade, adding the finial decorated with scrolls, replacing the old rosacea through a window, replacing the cracks of the side walls by windows, entaipamento partial portal south façade and the total Northern facade., tugging up the interior, which received new golden engravings.
1757, March 27 - auction of the work of the master mason and carpenter Gregory Rodrigues de Moura in Misericordia Church.
1757, April 17 - was in charge of making the flagstones of the vestry António Manuel tiler in Misericordia Church. On June 19 the works in the chancel and sacristy were completed and placed the images of the Virgin of the Lord and the Holy Christ Hall.
1757 - Renovation of the facade of the parish church of Santa Maria de Sintra. Rehabilitation of the Fountain of Sabuga.
1757 - Fountain of Sabuga - date inscribed on the tombstone pediment that tops the backrest, alluding to the source pombalina reconstruction following the damage sustained in the earthquake of 1755.
1758, April 18 - the Parish Memories, signed by the priest Francisco Antunes Monteiro, is referred to as the village, with 104 neighbors, is the Queen's House; judge has been appointed by the Queen.
1758 - The report made by the pastor, in compliance with a directive of the Marquis of Pombal, refers to the destruction caused in the church of St. Martin.
1758 - Penha Longa-The canon Piglet Gaspar de Figueiredo, who died in May, could not be buried in this church still being cluttered as a result of the earthquake, and was buried in the community cemetery in the Cloister.
1758 - The former chapel of Santo Amaro still existed, integrated into the fence conventual Trinity, second Viscount Juromenha, there were still some in the chapels of the convent of Santa Margarita, San Zaccaria and St. Elizabeth and Our Lady.
1758 - The Parish Church of St. Miguel is referred to as a single nave with a wooden ceiling and vaulted chancel, the pastor's response to the questionnaire conducted by the Marquis of Pombal, in order to ascertain the damage of the earthquake.
1758 - The pastor of the parish of St. Peter, De Souza Seixas, in response to the questionnaire conducted by the Marquis of Pombal in order to ascertain the extent of the damage of the earthquake, says the church of San Pedro de Canaferrim (which means "chapel" ), mentions the existence in the chancel of "hum vestige of Saint Peter painted the survival of the vault of the chancel, while the ship was already without coverage, also refers to the prior, the existence of an image of St. Peter in stone that is then kept in the chapel of Santa Eufemia, "note that also the pastor of the parish of Santa Maria, Padre Francisco Antunes Monteiro in response to the same questionnaire, and considering making the Moorish Castle part of the parish, the church refers St. Peter and provides identical information.
1760 - When Guiseppe Baretti visit the Palace says that the only subsisted Salas Swan, the Magpies and coats and D. Joseph had sent to rebuild Moorish taste.
1760 - By order of D. Joseph I, the worship that should be done in the Parish Church of Saint Martin is being done in the church of Mercy Parish was ruined because; payment to news painter Joaquim José da Rocha for painting the soffit of the triumphal arch and dome the chancel.
1760 - Given the poor conditions in which they celebrated the divine offices in houses belonging to the Marquis of Pombal, a former palace of Ribafria due to partial ruin of the church, King Joseph ordered that they be celebrated in the chapel of Mercy already repaired.
1761 - The Church of Santa Maria was already rebuilt and improved.
1761/1762 - the painter Joaquim José da Rocha paints the ceiling of the nave and sacristy of the Church of Mercy, as well as the seat of the brotherhood, the summit runs from the pulpit and in repintes altarpiece and the panel of Our Lord.
1762 - Daniel Gildemeester, born in Utrecht, the Netherlands Consul in Portugal, resident in the Windows Verdes in Lisbon, one of the houses leased to the Marquis of Pombal, spends the summer in Sintra, close to the home church of St. Martin, also rented to Marquis of Pombal yearly rent of $ 2,000 000.
1762 - Completion of the reconstruction works of the Church of Mercy of Sintra.
1764 - Established a contract with the master-builder Mateus Fernandes de Freitas, who should proceed to the reconstruction works of the church of St. Martin, but for reasons unknown, the work did not proceed as planned, which is prompted by the opinion of other masters, as the architect Mateus Vicente de Oliveira, and the first signs a waiver of the contract term.
1764 - Commencement of Lawrence's Hotel, with their owners Oram Lawrence English family, who gave him the name.
1764 - Works in Ramalhão due to the effects of the 1755 earthquake,
1766 - Die-Peninha hermit John Francis, Sebastian succeeding him Turnip.
1767 - Pay of 17,620 reis a Domingos Gonçalves da Cruz for making a frontal, second order of Father José Bernardo da Costa Leal in Misericordia Church.
1768 - The Chapel of the Castle is described by Francisco de Almeida Jordan as having the spaceship Discovery, "is the main door to the west, and South banda has another small door, and Janella border (...) Besides the painted image the altar, there was another stone that still exists in the hermitage of Santa Eufemia, where the led.
1768 - Quinta do Ramalhão is sold at public auction, to Mary of the Incarnation Correia.
1771 - Ramalhão - Maria Correia sends the Incarnation put tiles on the table outside the chapel to Our Lady of Conception and St. Blaise.
1772 - The lighthouse of Cabo da Roca comes into operation, and the third oldest of our coast.
1773 - Works of reconstruction and recovery of the fifth Chapel.
1773 - Still derive reconstruction works in the church of St. Martin.
1773 - Final-Completion of the works of (re) construction of the parish church of St. Martin.
1773 - Data entered in bell facing east to the Clock Tower in the Village.
779, April 19 - Father Pedro Pereira Rodrigues was appointed chaplain of Peninha sanctuary, the chapel and the fifth was being administered improperly by Francisco Xavier Stokler, as reflected in the Grantee of the Church of St. Martin the priest Francisco de Albuquerque.
1780 - Construction of the Fountain of the King, next to Quinta da Penha Verde.
1780 (circa) - Monserrate construction, property Devisme, the Gothic Revival mansion designed by Elsden.
1780/1786 - Construction of the farmhouse of San Sebastian, dating to the years pictorial decoration of some compartments, attributable to the French painter Jean Pillement (1728-1808).
1783 - Gildemeester is the Quinta da Alegria, at the end of Seteais Field (aka Field Alardo) on grounds of "sour cherries and sawed" ceded by the Marquis of Pombal and the United counter, José Luís de Brito; sends build a dwelling and outbuildings and stables support, respectively located in the right and left wings of the current palace; sends demolish part of a granite hill south of the existing field Seteais and two former strongholds that there also existed, whose stone used in construction the palace; sends build the "house butter" come from Holland sending a family to produce; sends conduct water of the mountain, planting trees and orchards, building caves, lookouts, a small garden with a central pond West, align and regularize the Field Seteais where orders to build two parallel streets and a transversal; Camp Seteais found himself separated from the road by iron railings with three gates and two pavilions with open passage into the fifth, at the extremes.
1783, Sept. and Oct. - Source Sabuga - Provisions of D. Maria attributing the competence of leftovers from the fountain to the Municipality of Sintra, without prejudice to the public and the royal palace, referring to the ban still Almoxarife to make changes at the source.
1784/1787 - D. Mary I often remains in Sintra with the court orchestra and a chapel and have run several works, ordering tiles "armillary sphere" to remedy possible faults.
1787 - Completion of construction of the palace of Quinta de São Sebastião.
1787 - The Capuchin convent was still inhabited by the religious community.
1787 - William Beckford stay in Sintra, first at the home of the Marquis of Marialva and then on Thursday the Ramalhão.
1787/1788 - Works remodeling source of Pipa at the initiative of D. Mary I
1787, July 25 - opening of Seteais, whose construction had cost about $ 000 240:000, on the anniversary of Gildemeester, with special guest William Beckford.
1787 - The Marquis of Marialva gets on his property Quinta do Espingardeiro the English traveler William Beckford.
1787 - Completion of construction of the palace of Quinta de São Sebastião.
1788 - The Fifth Ramalhão is courtesy of William Beckford to redecorate the palace and mobilou rooms.
1790 - Monserrate-through attorney and family counselor Jacinto Fernandes Flag, 1st Baron of Porto Covo Flag, the 3rd manager of the bond, D. Frances Xavier Mariana Faro Mello and Castro, decides to "rent usefully fifth" and "promote the conservation and increase", on 14 January - the fifth lease deed of the DeVisme Gerard (1726-1798), partner in the firm Purry & Mellish which had a monopoly on the import dick-Brazil in deed it was stated that the fifth DeVisme wanted rent for a long time, because it is a very remote place, "as similar to the air of his homeland" and therefore more convenient for their health and to rest the fatigues of their trade, but also wanted to restore the farm, "raising their orchards and giving them the benefit of lacking, rebuilding his agency houses", until then the fifth was opened, or that is, had no seal, the deadline was nine years starting from 1 July 1789 until 30 June 1798, and the price was four hundred thousand reis cash flow at the end of each semester at the rate of two hundred thousand reis in each, free of tenth and other taxes and charges that the fifth had in this or that if you impose in the future, leaving all the rest to the tenant; improvements belonging to the building would be leased, but in return, the tenant would enjoy the same improvements not only over the nine year lease, but also for another nine years, this extension provided that the landlord has promised to grant the lessee or his heirs; DeVisme sends castellated Gothic Revival building a palace where there would have been a former chapel, with project assigned to William Eldsen, create garden spaces decorated with statuary and have also build a chapel neogothic, in the hills of the property as if it were a hermitage.
1791 - Data entered in the South facing bell in the Clock Tower in the Village.
1792 - Gildemeester requires and obtains the Queen Mary I consent to establish a trust on Seteais, whereby bond, would be the fifth in usufruct to the widow and property of their two sons, Daniel and Henry, without which none of them could sell or pawn.
1793 14 October - publication of a picture of Monserrate, seen from Southwest, designed by Baker and recorded by Wells in London, in this, the fifth arises walled palatial house and finished at the top of the hill, above the chestnut trees and lemon trees; the house seemed to have rectangular shape with two circular towers on the tops sides, covered with conical roofs, and raised rectangular central body with faceted coverage; On 2 December - publishing another picture of Montserrat, also designed by Baker and recorded by Wells.
1793, February 14 - Daniel Gildemeester dies and is buried in the English Cemetery in Lisbon.
1794, June / July - Gerad DeVisme sublet the fifth Monserrate, with all its improvements, to William Beckford, the lease term ended on 30 June 1798, with the express obligation of landlords to extend it for another nine years; William Beckford continued work on the palace and garden, where orders to build a waterfall and a false cromlech.
1794, October 4 - The farm is valued at Seteais 30:000 $ 000.
1794 - The Queen Carlota Joaquina acquires Quinta do Ramalhão that turns into a royal residence.
1795 - The English poet Robert Southey visit Sintra.
1797 - Ignoring the trust, the 5th Marquess of Marialva, D. José Diogo de Menezes Vito Noronha Coutinho, Governor of the Tower of S. Vincent de Belém and Head Equerry of Queen Mary I, purchased the farm from the widow Gildemeester, D. Joanna Goran for the sum of $ 14,800 00.
1798 - Monserrate - the homemade gift was the ratification of possession Filipe Duarte; DeVisme retires to England for health reasons or due to disagreements with the government of D. Maria I.
1798, October / 1799, June - renewal of the lease of Monserrate Beckford, but his departure starts the process of leaving the house and the farm.
1799/1807 - The property is leased to Monserrate heirs of De Geralde Visme.
1799/1855, between - was administrator of the bond Monserrate D. José Maria de Almeida Castro and Pimentel de Siqueira and Abreu, Count of Nova Goa.
1800, July 6 - the Marquis de Marialva asks the camera tenure Seteais Field, where he soon begins to plant trees, causing civil unrest, suspicious of their intention to close the camp, hitherto public use.
1800 - The 5th Marquess of Marialva acquires home Seteais and adds new body home.
1800/1801 - Southey remains in Sintra, where he wrote part of his work.
Century 18, the end - the fifth (Regaleira) is called Quinta do castro or the Tower due to Tower Pombal addorsed called the current home of the Renaissance. This tower was according to tradition, one that gave the name to the farm because it is disfrutava a view "that was a regaleira."
1800 - Fifth Regaleira-heirs of D. Joan Teresa Xavier de Castro, widow of Manuel de Castro Guimarães, cede the property to John António Lopes Fernandes.
Century 18, the end / sec. 19, beginning - the probable date of construction of the house Italian by an Italian architect unknown, which have belonged to Maria Amalia de Carvalho and Daun, Countess of Rio Maior, daughter of the 1st Marquis of Pombal and mother of the Duke of Saldanha.