- Serra de Sintra
- Cronologia Sintrense
- Quintas de Sintra
- Palácios de Sintra
- Castelo dos Mouros
- Fontes de Sintra
- Parque da Pena
- Sintra Assombrada
- Mapas antigos de Sintra
- Praias de Sintra
- Cemitérios de Sintra
- Convento dos Capuchos
- Grandes Tragédias
- Penedos da Serra de Sintra
- Fotos de Sintra
- Lendas de Sintra
- Fotos de Sintra Antigas
- Árvores de Sintra
- Caminhadas em Sintra
- Artigos Soltos
We have 128 guests and no members online
Timeline 1801 to 1900
Century 19 - Adapting to seasonal residence on the initiative of D. Fernando II, being named Villa de San Miguel, before the erection of the Pena Palace.
Century 19 - The estate of Quinta do watch belonged to Father Jerome.
Century 19 - restoration work in the Royal Palace undertaken by Rosendo Garcia de Araújo Carvalheira.
Century 19 - It is the fifth owner of San Sebastian Henrique Teixeira de Sampaio, only Baron Teixeira (1818) and 1st Earl of Póvoa (1774-1833).
Century 19 - Alexandre Herculano hosted on the property of the Convento do Carmo.
Century 19 - The Fifth of Murtas is sent by Eduardo VanZeller build, a wealthy Dutchman, for his daughter Cecilia.
1801 - António João Fernandes Lopes builds for Maximum José dos Reis, last captain of Sintra, Quinta da Alegria (then known as Quinta da Cruz).
1801 - The City Council grants the Marquis tenure Field Seteais, with a ban on close to the public and the obligation to always keep two doors open to public use for the ride and take care of maintenance of trees and plants; non-compliance the conditions imposed would mean the loss of useful domain by the Marquis.
1801 - 1802 - Construction of transforming Seteais body and the stables, turning the main facade of the palace to the field Seteais and building up a body symmetrical opposite, corresponding to the old stables.
1802 - On the occasion of the visit of the Prince Regent, D. John VI and his wife, D. Carlota Joaquina, the Marquis sends unite the buildings in Seteais through a triumphal arch, unifying the entire printing and symmetry to the main facade of the palace, and which had put a medallion in the center with the effigies of D. John (Prince Regent) and his wife D. Carlota Joaquina, who usually frequented the Palace, the making of the arc is attributed to Francisco Leal Garcia's second project architect Costa e Silva.
1803, August 14 - the Marquis de Marialva dies.
1803 - On the death of the 5th Marquess of Marialva, the fifth-Espingardeiro passes into the possession of his granddaughter D. Maria Francisca Sousa Ligne (Duchess of Cadaval by marriage to the 6th Duke).
1804, January 10 - Order of the timber Seteais.
1804 - Procedure for investigating the distribution of water and its Sabuga leftovers and the clarification of the right of use.
1804, Jul. - Provision of the Prince Regent, claiming that the distribution of water and inspection of public sources is the sole responsibility of the Municipality.
1804, Aug. - Information request from the Prince Regent to Juiz de Fora about the grounds on which the Board relies to claim the area of jurisdiction of the water.
1804, Sept. - Following a survey by the Juiz de Fora Manuel de Oliveira Pinto, accompanied by a scribe, a master mason of the Royal Palaces and a mason officer, concluded that there was no leftovers from the fountain of Sabuga.
1805 - For the last time in Pelourinho Sintra some convicts were exposed.
1807 - The French soldiers, under the command of General Thomières, steal, Sintra and Colares, cattle, barns and cellars, looting, even the churches.
1807 - On Thursday Regaleira-building a house, a gazebo and a garden with a large pond and caves.
1808 30 August - according to some authors have been signed the 'Convention of Sintra »why the French troops left Portugal in the Hall this Seteais.
1809 - Byron visit Sintra and is inspired to write Childe Harold's Pilgrimage, where he calls the "Glorious Eden".
1809 - Lord Byron visit to the Palace of Monserrate property.
1809 - Some say they have been distinguished in Lawrence's that Lord Byron has written excerpts from the book "Childe Harold's Pilgrimage."
1809 - On Thursday Regaleira registration of servitude water, referring to eight mines and an aqueduct aqueduct known as the Valley of Angels.
1810 - Quinta do Pisões is sold to the Highest José dos Reis, Captain General of Sintra, following an application filed against Antonio Valeriano de Sousa Prego.
1812 - Die Countess of Rio Maior getting the Casa Italiana for heirs.
1812 - Determination city council lamps are placed in the clock tower at the birth of an infant.
1815, February 11 - minutes of meeting of the Board refers to the existence of a clock in the Clock Tower.
1816-29 In October born Dom Fernando II of Portugal (named Fernando Francisco António Augusto de Saxe-Coburg-Gotha-Kohary.
1818/1823, between - was tenant of the Palace of Monserrate Pedro de Oliveira, who paid 500 $ 00.
1819-4 Rise From April D. Maria II of Portugal named Maria da Gloria Joan Cross Carlota Leopoldina Francisca de Paula Xavier Isidora Micaela Gabriela Rafaela Gonzaga de Braganca.
1820 - John Gregory Carlos Domingos Vicente Francisco de Saldanha Oliveira e Daun, becomes estanciar in Sintra, like the Court, there remains great seasons.
1820, May 6 - luminaires are placed in the Clock Tower to celebrate the anniversary of D. John VI.
1820 - The official host Wellington in Quinta da Alegria.
1821 - Description romantic Monserrate Palace by English traveler Mariana Baillie: the fifth consisted of fruit trees and watered by waterfalls, the house was abandoned, but states that the carved doors of the best rooms were still intact, debris crystals in the doors, and the music room is round.
1822 - Rebuilding of Old Town Jail, charged to the contractor Pedro d'Oliveira.
1822, May 4 - repair of the clock mechanism in the clock tower.
1823 26 - Oct - luminaires are placed in the Clock Tower to celebrate the birthday of Prince Miguel.
1826, January - publishing a colored lithograph of F. Nicholson made the Palace of Monserrate James Bulwer second drawing, showing the exterior primitive unchanged.
1826/1830, between - the fifth lease the Palace of Monserrate John Rodrigues who paid $ 400 annually 00.
1827 - Awarded the title of 1st Earl of John Carlos Saldanha Gregory Domingos Vicente Francisco de Saldanha Oliveira e Daun grandson of the Marques de Pombal
1828 - The Value of Income demonstrates the existence of only two monks at the Monastery of Pen (1 priest and 1 lay), 1 and 2 created prelate.
1829 - Engraving Schiopetta representing the primitive palace of Quinta Clock.
1830 - The Conde de Saldanha decides to acquire a farm for 30 tales of kings, located on the slopes of the Sintra hills, there to build a house.
1830 - The Church of St. Peter of Penaferrim surroundings and is represented in lithography Burnett.
1830 - Being in Sintra, D. Miguel sends open the famous Tomb of the Two Brothers, in an attempt to check the veracity of the legend, but find only the bones of a single individual.
1830 - Quinta da Torre is inherited by Dr. Manuel Bernardo Lopes Fernandes. Passes the name to Regaleira Estate.
1830, April 7 - Opening of the Tomb of the Two Brothers was found having only a skeleton is not possible to identify who they are. Was destroyed the ancient legend.
1830 - lithograph by William Hicking Burnett immortalizes the area of the chapel in the Moorish Castle.
1830/1837 - William Hicking Burnett performs his series of etchings of thematic Sintra.
1830/1837 - Second engraving by William Hicking Burnett, Capuchin Convent in the access steps to the Chapel of St. Anthony were flanked by murete curve concave.
1830/1837 - An engraving of William Hicking Burnett shows Pelourinho original deployed in the Old Market Square, next to Mercy Hospital.
1830/1837 - engraving of William Burnett Hicking in the Royal Palace shows the fountain has no tank.
1830/1840 - Several engravings, two of William Hicking Burnett (from 1830/1838), one of George Vivian (1839) and other Célestine Brelaz (1840), represent the Clock Tower differently, particularly as regards the bell.
1833 - The King Pedro Conde de Saldanha appoint the Marshal of the army.
1833, January 14 - confirmation of the title of Conde de Saldanha.
1834 - Are made many improvements in the main building of the Fifth House of Saldanha.
1834 - The extinction of the religious orders in the country leads to abandonment and alienation of convents Sintra.
1834 - Expulsion of religious orders, implying the dispersion of the filling of the Convent of the Trinity, sold at auction to Max José dos Reis, captain of Sintra, António Gomes Barreto, Administrator of the County and Joaquim Duarte, according to the inventory drawn " the whole church he vaulted d'very clear and its so perfect. consists of three altars, the first is the main chapel is divided hum stone arch and provided good direction. has enough fake stone altarpiece with four columns with capitals with their and sima of the Trinity shot in low relief figures also adorned with three large images of good sculpture however badly treated by time. "; auto auction in favor of the then Marquis of Saldanha, Joao Carlos Domingues Gregory Vicente Francisco de Saldanha Oliveira e Daun (1790-1876), the right to lease the convent and its about the period of one year.
1834 - As a result of the extinction of the religious orders Capuchin Convent is acquired by the 2nd Earl of Penamacor, D. António de Saldanha Ribafria Albuquerque e Castro (1815 - 1864), a descendant of D. João de Castro.
1834 - At the time of the extinction of the religious orders Pena Monastery was already abandoned and remained uninhabited, with the keys to the care of the abbot of Penha Longa, just keeping the church open for worship, was ordered to inventory the assets of the monastery , sold at auction.
1834, July 7 - Following the extinction of the religious orders, the Judge of the Civil Court and Out of Sintra, accompanied by a supervisor, took possession of the Convento da Penha Longa and sent to the Treasury the list of his assets.
1834 - Following the liberal decree that determines the expulsion of the religious orders, the property of the Carmo Convent is acquired and converted into housing.
1834 -. The Duke of Saldanha promotes the first renovation of his mansion in Sintra, giving it neomedieval prospectus, including having applied in an adjacent chapel Manueline portico from the disabled Convento da Penha Longa Jerome had acquired though.
1834, August - by sharing sentence, succeeds in possession of Seteais the youngest daughter of the Marquis, D. Joaquina de Menezes, the Marquesa Louriçal.
1834 - 1846 - D. Joaquina de Menezes spends the summer season in Seteais which have carried out some improvements.
1835 - The former convent of the Trinity is valued at $ 1,200 00, excluding church and their belongings.
1835, April 15 - is made public the decision to sell the Convento da Penha Longa and their property, with the publication of the Decree.
1835 - The grounds of the Convent of the Trinity is acquired by Marshal Saldanha.
1835 - The vast majority of the farm's Saldanha works were already completed, it is placed in the garden that has a fountain neomanuelina arch pediment of an inscription in verse withdrawal of the "Lusiads" and alluding to Sintra.
1836 March 29 - an Ordinance excludes the sale of the convent church of Penha Longa for there to contain notable works of art. "
1836, April 13 - a resolution establishing a city council ordered 60,000 kings a year to the jailer, with an obligation to take care of the clock in the Clock Tower.
1836, April 13 - In Convento da Penha Longa is published in leaf official list of salable goods with their value and on that date the property was sold at auction by João Carlos de Saldanha de Oliveira e Daun, 1st Earl, Marquis and Duke of Saldanha.
1836/1839, between - the fifth new lease of Monserrate Palace by John Roberts 350 $ 00.
1837, January 28 - the minutes of the city council meeting refers to the lease of the house on the 1st floor of the Clock Tower. On November 22 - the house is leased to António Rodrigues Ferreira.
1837 - On the death of the 2nd Earl of Póvoa, John and Maria Sampaio de Noronha (1826-1837), the estate of Quinta de São Sebastião passes to his sister D. Maria Luisa de Sampaio de Noronha, Duchess of Palmela at your wedding (last year) with the 2nd Duke D. Domingos de Sousa Holstein (1818-1864), passing the property to integrate the assets of Palmela.
1838 - Reference from "Picturesque Cintra" by Viscount Juromenha, citing Regaleira Estate as having belonged to "... um cleric, who asked him to put the sacred path crosses the main street that leads to the source ... ".
1838 - The towers of the Moorish Castle were in ruin.
1838 - D. Fernando of Saxe Coburg purchased the monastery with its guest houses, fence, planting land, pine forest and kills 761,000 kings, and the nearby Quinta da Abelheira and St. Michael Chapel, totaling 200 ha, initiating restoration and magnification to fit a summer residence, including the Walk for St. Peter's access to property, the first plans were executed by Possidónio da Silva, although they did not come to fruition; Sintra becoming internationalized and many European aristocrats settled in Sintra.
1838 - The Viscount Juromenha publishes the "Cintra picturesque, or Memory Descriptiva of Villa de Cintra, Collares and Its Surroundings" and that is the first historical monograph of Sintra.
1838 - Second Viscount Juromenha at Quinta da Penha Verde "were the first houses of the Viceroy ground floor, is the site where today there is the caretaker of the house, and also the first founding the Chapel of Nossa Senhora do Monte, which had do to her grave "; further states that the altar of the chapel of St John the Baptist had on a pedestal of black stone image of the patron saint in Jasper and the image side of the Gospel of St. Peter in clay and glaze on the Epistle side, the same material as that of St. Paul.
1838 - The Viscount Juromenha in its picturesque Cintra, states that the church of San Pedro de Penaferrim was in ruins, it still had the memory of Saint Peter painted figuration in the chancel, and survived an image of the patron saint in the stony chapel of Santa Eufemia.
1839 - Plant Nicholas Pires, representing Pena Monastery before restoration, with quadrangular cloister, tower, church, sacristy, choir and guest house.
1838 - D. And D. Maria II Fernando settle in the Palace of Sintra during construction of the Pena Palace.
1839 - Acquisition of new rope to the clock in the Clock Tower.
1839, sale of lead from roofs of the Palace of Monserrate
1839 - In the Parque da Pena bought up nine bushels of chestnuts and a half bushel of acorns for the sum of 3,120 reis and employed Twenty-three workers for armhole and sowing the forest; planted thirty-nine firs three Pinus larix and fourteen walnut. Clean and fertilize the ground for the planting of cedars in the English garden, which lay behind the Abegoaria built later.
1840 - Deed of tenure of D. Ferdinand taking charge of the conservation and improvement of the castle, to which the forum would pay annual kings 240; consolidated her walls, arborizou it opened access routes, created corners for contemplation; undertook conservation work in the chapel , visible mainly in the South and its entry wall, facade and west apse; along the southern flank of the chapel made monument to collect bones that were found and planted a tree in the center of the nave, the reform of the enclosure was guided by Baron von Eschewege Colonel Corps of Royal Engineers.
1840 - The church of San Pedro de Penaferrim is represented in lithography Manuel Luiz, made from a drawing of Célestine Brelaz.
1840 - Second phase of works at the Monastery of Pen with reformulation and expansion of the initial project under the direction of military engineer Baron von Eschwege, according to Nicholas Pires plants, being the master mason John Henriques charge of supervising and monitoring the execution of works, coordinating and shipyard workers; works were used in some materials and structures from the Convento da Penha Longa.
1840 - D. Fernando made payable to the British firm, Alexander Adams, 29,663 reis of plants and trees that came from London to Pena.
1840 - The 1st Baroness Regaleira, D. Allen Ermelinda Monteiro de Almeida, the daughter of a merchant and English consul, buy Quinta da Torre, undertaking major projects.
1840 - The House on Thursday Regaleira Porter is mentioned in cadastral and topographic maps of the region of Sintra.
1840 - Representation of a house of Manuel Luiz lithography, drawing made on Thursday in the Celestine Brelaz Pisões.
1840 - Lithography of Manuel Luiz Brelaz Célestine with drawing depicting the Monserrate palace without a roof over the central body.
1840 - A lithograph by Luis Manuel, made using a drawing Célestine Brelaz, is the source of Pisões in its eighteenth-century setting.
1840 13 October - the owner of the Convento do Carmo, the Earl of Lavradio, the Cardinal Patriarch asks permission to remove the bodies that were buried in the Chapter Room, so that it can turn into the dining room, on 15 October authorization is granted.
1841/1843 - In Pena Monastery where there was broad expansion of the churchyard and raising walls, stands the tower (a stylization of the Torre de Belém); custom stained glass for the chapel at Nuremberg, but whose theme suggests an Portuguese design, perhaps made by Viscount de Meneses
1840-1849 - Construction of the Pena Palace and its botanical park (designed by the monarch in 1846), by planting thousands of trees and plants from all continents.
1841 - 1844 - Contract to cover the gravel walks of the English garden at Parque da Pena and staffing needed to break stone there.
1842, June 30 - The Government Gazette details the works Fernandinas: changes in the cloister, the church and convent of dependencies that subsisted in the Palácio da Pena.
1842 - Convento da Penha Longa is the possession of the firm CD & AH Lindenberg, who, by order of Sep 9, which manages the state would sell the church of the Convent.
1843 - Second lithography Michelis, are flanking the triumphal arch in Seteais two niches with statues now missing.
1843 - The management engineer Gaudêncio Fontana, the scent of Cape Rocal underwent important changes, with the installation of a new rotating apparatus, composed of sixteen Argand lamps with parabolic reflectors.
1845 - Works on the source of Santa Eufemia on the initiative of Count oak, D. José Maria de Almada Castro Noronha da Silveira Lobo (1779 - 1854).
1845, September - exhumation of bodies and translocation of the Carmo Convent who were buried in the Chapter Room, inclusive of Friar Stephen of Purification to near the Chapel of Sacred road.
1846 - Dies D. Joaquina without heirs upward and downward, so that the entire property of Seteais passes to his nephew, D. José Nuno Barreto de Moura, 1. º Duque de Loulé and future Grand Master of Masonry Portuguese.
1846, November 4 - is awarded the title of 1st Duke of Saldanha aa Gregory John Carlos Domingos Vicente Francisco de Saldanha Oliveira e Daun grandson of the Marques de Pombal.
1846/1487 - At Abbey Pena works are continuing and are delivered to master Joao Henriques, the park begins to be outlined by the King, the work being delivered and Eschewege Wenceslau Cifka; placement of tree species from the Black Forest; custom furniture for the dining room and the firm Barbosa Costa and dinner service to the Company Pickman.
1848 - Date of stained glass chapel in the Monastery of Pena.
1848 - Convento da Penha Longa fetched at auction by the firm and Bessones Barbosas, which undertakes various projects, including reconstruction of the church.
1848 - The grounds of the Convent of the Trinity was already owned by the counselor Marino Miguel Franzini.
1848 - Dr. Bernanrdino Egidio da Silveira and Castro creates an establishment of public baths of cold water, giving rise to the toponymy of the site, called "Around the Shower."
1849 - Completion of works at Parque da Pena.
1849 - On the death of Max José dos Reis, Quinta do Pisões passes into the possession of his daughter Libânia and her husband Michael David Gallway.
1849 - Table Oil Hoffmann, with Monserrate seen Necklace Road, already without the conical roofs on the towers side.
1849 29 October - Payment for 4800 Kings Chamber of the John Pereira Pinto, a repair of the clock in the Clock Tower.
1850 - It stands the Neo Moorish pavilion Fifth clock, according to project architect António Tomás da Fonseca, The Fountain of Sabuga is improved. It created the Assembly Philarmonica of Cintra, at the initiative of Antonio da Silva Rosa Marcal. Captain Abreu performs the first mapping of the town of Sintra
1850 - In the Parque da Pena were planted seven orange, pear and ninety four apple trees, were planted two thousand two hundred seventy-seven trees; Countess of Edla inherits the Palace.
1850 - The source of Sabuga plant is registered in Sintra and will have had a tombstone with the same date, which corresponds to a campaign of restoration and refurbishment work.
1850 - The Hotel Lawrence's going to be directed by Jane Lawrence Oram who was immortalized by Eca de Queiroz in "The Mayans"; Duran is acquired by the English, who renamed it Hostal English; Other services lend themselves to this Hotel.
1850 - A plan of the Palace of Sintra authored the captain of engineers José António de Abreu, confirms the location of Pelourinho Sintra.
Century 19 - According to Anthony A. R. da Cunha, many wealthy foreigners tried to buy the Monserrate Palace and D. Fernando, who wanted to build a road through the mountains connecting the pen to Monserrate, but never managed to reach an agreement.
1851.24 January - Sailing the Spy, carrying maize to Francis Cook sank 20 miles from Cabo da Roca, its crew were rescued by boat Sant'Ana Nazareth.
1851 - The estate of Quinta do watch belonged to 16th Conde de Redondo and Seer of the Royal Household, D. Luis Gonzaga de Sousa Coutinho Castelo Branco and Meneses, son of the owner 2. º Marques de Borba and 15. Earl of Redondo, D. Fernando Maria de Sousa Coutinho Castelo Branco and Meneses.
1851 - Date anonymous manuscript describing the Seteais as "... Following Sallas, being a very spacious dance, following the human gallery of beautiful cabinets that rodeão whole palace in the center of which the human spacious and elegant staircase to the lower floor, where there are other Sallas and great dining at home and with doors to the garden ... ".
1851 - The Queen D. Maria II writes Fernando decided that telling the gardener Bonard, shipments of camellias that had rooftop Needs.
1851-20 October - Birth of Victor Carlos Sassetti, in Sintra, who would become owner of the Hotel Victor in Braganza Hotel Sintra and Lisbon.
1852 - Order and application of stained glass for the Nuremberg Hall and completion of the restoration of the chapel.
1852 - Engraving anonymous fifth of Monserrate Palace depicts the building with only the main walls, without roofs, windows or doors.
1852 - The machinery of the clock was not yet connected to the bells in the tower clock.
1853 - Settlement of twisted columns outside the Pena Palace.
1853 - Pena Park - construction of greenhouses where they created pineapples, asparagus, strawberries, tuberous begonias and roses rare in Japan.
1853-15 In November - thirteen hours after the onset of labor the stillborn infant Don Eugenio, his 11th son, Dona Maria II died at the age of 34 at the Palace of Needs.
1854, April 15 - D. Ermelinda is high Viscountess Regaleira and renews the title of baroness in Niece, D. Maria Isabel Allen, the latter becoming the 2nd Baroness and heiress of her aunt.
1854, May 10 - sitting in the House Councilman Joaquim José Roquette requested permit for the farrier José Lino dos Reis close the ground near the door of the sacristy and choir usefulness of Mercy, where he had his shop, and dismount the Pelourinho "to public decency and cleanliness ", so the farrier destroyed the monument, using the stone in the foundations and walls of your house, then under construction.
1854 - Parque da Pena - approval of the plant the garden of camellias; were transported Tapada Needs camellias in one hundred fifty-four first shipment centas and forty-nine in another, the same site come twenty-five pines; early plantation " High Tea "with eight of tea trees.
1854 - Demolition on the proposal of Councillor Joaquim José Roquette, the Manueline pillory of Sintra.
1854/1857 - Design of interior and applying stucco at the Palacio da Pena.
1855, April 2 - D. Maria Isabel Allen receives the fifth Regaleira Tower or by inheritance.
1855 - D. Fernando tells transfer to Tapada Mafra a deer, two deer, a buck and ending the two ranges covered in deer. D. Fernando II progressed initially with the idea of creating a reserve big game but pedragosidade the park constantly hurting animals preventing its continuation.
1855, August 13 - died on Thursday Saldanha D. Maria Teresa Horan Margaret Fitzgerald, Duchess of Saldanha.
1855 (October 24) - publication of the decree extinguishes the counties of Sterling and Fine, whose territories included in the term of Sintra.
1855 - Construction of Villa Carlos Mourato Rome by Rome.
1855 - Sale of property at Quinta do Espingardeiro the 2nd Marquess of Valada, D. José Meneses da Silveira and Castro (1826-1895), chief officer of the Royal Household.
1855 - D. José Maria de Almeida Castro and Pimentel de Siqueira and Abreu returned from India with his family. (Monserrate Palace).
Century 19, the 60 - Construction of the palace of Quinta Clock, by order of Manuel Pinto da Fonseca, known as the Monte Cristo on Thursday that previously belonged to B. H. Metznar as draft António Manuel da Fonseca Junior. B. H. Metznar would warrant building a house with a tower sporting the watch, which is at the origin of the name of the property. Thomas Horn will be built at that location, another house, facing the street.
1856, September 12 - the Duke of Saldanha house in London in remarriages with D. Isabel Maria Carlota Smith.
1856, September 13 - after his father's death at age 91, succeeded his younger son D. Luiz Caetano; widow, D. Veridiana Constance Leite de Sousa Noronha and, with permission of the family council, performs contract subrogation in inscriptions of the fifth Monserrate to rich English merchant Francis Cook (1817-1901), second son of William Cook of Wymondham and Mary Lainson , the nominal value of subrogation was $ 40 000 000, that year, Francis Cook resided at Quinta de São Bento, near Monserrate.
1856 - Conducting a rigorous plan of Pena Park by Lieutenant Colonel J. A. de Abreu.
1856 - Francis Cook bought the Quinta de Monserrate.
1856 - Large outbreak of cholera morbus in the region.
1857, April 25 - Payment for 2680 Board of kings António Maria da Silva, for repairing the clock tower Clock putting her new pulleys, wood and irons.
1858 - Francis Cook order to architect James Knowles Jr. the reconstruction project of the Palace of Monserrate.
1858 - November - Construction, according to Knowles and trace behest of Francis Cook, again in Monserrate palace. Planting of exotic park, under the guidance of Burt and, after 1887, of Oates.
1860, February 23 - arrives in Portugal Frederica Elise Hensler, singer of German origin, and who received the title of Countess of Edla, Prince Ernest II of Saxe.
1860 - The parish of St. Michael is extinguished and the area annexed to the neighboring parish who then takes the appointment of Parish of Santa Maria and Sao Miguel.
1860 - D. Fernando II restores the Moorish Castle and proceeds afforestation fence and its surroundings.
1860/1870 - Construction of a palace, the site of the former slaughterhouse in the village, for the residence of the wealthy Count of seasonal Valenças, Luís Pereira Leite Garden (1844 - 1910), married the heiress of the family Anjos, D. Wilhelmina Angels (1853 - 1919), the project was executed by Giuseppe Luigi Cinatti (1808-1879).
Century 19, 2. Second half - construction of the cottage, the second draft of the Countess Pena Park.
1860 and 1863 - after the enactment of legislation abolishing ties and morgados, proceeded to complete the sale Thursday to Francis Cook, James Knowles started the refurbishment of the palace, taking advantage of its ancient structures and maintaining areas of primitive construction, adding porch in a small turret E. and another facing south, planting and construction of park and garden, planted by the gardener Burt, who, like the architect was brought to England, where Francis and Cook sends put countless pieces acquired by him on several trips in order to create different scenarios and environments, including an Indian arch that was part of the spoils of war from a revolt of maharajas, completed the building and premises, the couple Cook Francis Cook and Emily Martha Lucas takes up residence in Portugal two to three months per year.
1862 - In the Parque da Pena palm seeds are potted and housed in the greenhouse.
1862 - date of death of Carlos Mourato Rome, the Villa Roma house now belongs to one of his four daughters, Paulina Rome who marries José Ignacio Machado de Faria e Maya. The house with summer residence continues to host family among them José Vicente Barbosa du Bocage, son-Mourato Carlos Rome, founder of the Museum of Natural History, and later named the street.
1863 - Die 16. Earl of Redondo.
1863 - Royal Palace - campaign redecorarão revivalist character with a particular focus on Mudejar Arabic as memory, and Manueline, including gaps in the main body and wing Manueline, patios and coatings azulejares the responsibility of the architect Joaquim da Silva Possidónio.
1865 - They would get up critical voices against the effectiveness of the lighthouse of Cabo da Roca.
1867 - It stands, in San Pedro de Penaferrim, called Source of Count Sucena.
1867 - Vilhena Barbosa describes Seteais in ruins but still lined with silks and abandoned garden.
1867 - Chalet of Countess is ready to receive plasterwork and painting by Sebastião Ribeiro Alves.
1867-Adrenunes becomes known as the archaeological site.
1868 - Completion of the works in the Palace of Pena who imported over 400 short stories.
1869 - D. Fernando II marries the Countess d'Edla. Home Construction in the Pena Park, the Chalet of Countess d'Edla, designed by the Countess.
1869 - The 3rd Earl of Penamacor, António Maria de Saldanha Albuquerque Ribafria Castro Pereira (1841 - 1911) mortgage Quinta da Penha Verde for $ 4493 700, value of jewelry the Countess of Penamacor.
1870 - the photos are published oldest monserrate illustrating the poem by Thomas of Ercildoune: Fairylife in Fairyland
1870, June 7 - decree by the King Louis Francis Cook raises the Viscount Monserrate, this gradually expanded the farm by buying multiple properties they are: Quinta de São Bento, Quinta da Infanta, Head Quinta, Quinta da Ponte Redonda, Quinta da Bela Vista, Quinta de São Tiago, Quinta de dovecote, Quinta das Cheeks, Quinta da Boiça, Quinta da Bela Vista and the land south of the road, facing Monserrate, and the Capuchin Convent with its fence. In addition, Cook bought the Little Farm and Quinta Grande, Quinta do Sanfanha of Cosme and then resold to various; opened primary schools in Galamares and necklaces for the children of its staff, consisting of about 300 people.
1870 - The Duke of Saldanha ordered the construction of the garden of the house a statue of the Faith allegory, designed by architect Possidónio da Silva, whose pedestal bears two shields ornamented headed a text of his own, the Duke was appointed ambassador in London, and property sold to an English family.
1871, February 25 - Registration of Regaleira Estate in conservatory, being composed of noble houses and workshops, wild trees, gardens and orchards, and its value was ten contos.
1873, May 27 - the property of Quinta da Penha Verde is leased to Sir Francis Cook, 1st Viscount Monserrate.
1873, May 28 - is appointed jailer John Pereira Pinto, which had exercised, temporarily, the post of watchmaker since last year in the Clock Tower.
1873 - Acquisition of property Capuchin Convent by Sir Francis Cook, 1st Viscount Monserrate.
1873 - Inauguration of the railway line tramway Larmanjat working on a single central rail and made the connection from Lisbon to Sintra.
1873 - Born in Sintra journalist Avelino de Almeida.
1874, 26 Oct. - death of Marino Franzini, the property of the Convent of the Trinity passes to the widow, D. Carlota Sebastiana Gervasoni Franzini.
1875 - Death of D. Nuno Barreto.
1875 - Campaign for refurbishment, conservation and restoration of the fountain of Mata Alva, held at the initiative and expense of Sir Francis Cook, 1st Viscount Monserrate, owner of the neighboring property of the same name (since 1863) and is designed for the same public use , as evidenced by the epigraphic record under the coat of arms.
1875 - Construction of the Source of the River Bica, in San Pedro de Penaferrim.
1876 - Rebuilding the chapel of Santa Eufemia by a foreign devotee, thought to have been D. Fernando II.
1876, November 21 - died in London the Duke of Saldanha.
1877, May 30 - scripture sharing friendly, succeeding in possession of Seteais, the son of the Duke of Loulé, D. Augusto Pedro Barreto, 3. º Count of Azambuja.
1877 - Company is founded Sintrense Union, on 8 May, during the monarchy and sported the epithet "Royal". Were their main workers José Simões, Joaquim Barreto, Antonio Marcal Domingos da Silva Rosa and Santos e Silva.
1878 - Discovery of the Tholos monument monk by archaeologist Carlos Ribeiro, who then proceeds to a full excavation.
1879 - Sebastian Pinto Leite finishes the property of the Convento da Penha Longa, mortgaged since 1873, transforming it into an agricultural exploitation.
1882 - Data entered in the bell facing north, on the same date seems to have proceeded to the acquisition of new mechanism for the clock in the Clock Tower.
1883 - Approved the installation of an electric light and a beep on Farol da Roca.
1884 - The Property Convento da Penha Longa was owned by Sebastian Pinto Leite, Viscount Gandarinha, later Earl of Penha Longa, conducts refurbishment work adapting the ancient monastery a summer residence.
1884 - José Manuel Monteiro at auction Acquires the direct control of an existing term in Regaleira Estate, which belonged to the Seminary of Santarém, the extinction of the Collegiate of San Marino Sintra.
Century 19, the end - the Palace of Monserrate Francis Cook sends remove the roof of the chapel built by DeVisme, destroying the interior walls, planting vines and open a cave in place that correspond to the apse, where orders to place one of the three Etruscan sarcophagi for him purchased in Rome in 1860, creating a scene of ruin.
1880 - Ernesto Biester, known playwright at the time, the commission proposed a "chalet" the architect José Luís Monteiro, interior decoration would be borne by the carver Leandro Braga (1839-1897), while the works of decorative painting indulged the Italian designer Luigi Manini (1848-1936) and the design of the gardens Noget; December Biester dies, not seeing implemented the construction of your home.
1882 - Purchase of Old Farm, owned by the heirs of the Marquis of Pombal, by a set of members for allotment defining the land where the house was built Mount Fleuri belonging to Pedro Gomes da Silva.
1882 - On the occasion of the celebrations of Our Lady of the Cape Royal Palace of the fountain, was truncated and built him up a tank unit of rough stone.
1882, October 4 - Minutes of meeting of the House, in which was appreciated a requirement of the Marquis de Viana, D. João Manuel de Meneses, to "close the space where usefulness is the Chapel of St. Lazarus, changing the use for said straight up," request that was granted by the Board.
1883.28 August - the Vapor Rydel, because of the fog, sank in Cabo da Roca, having saved up the 20 crew members.
1884 - The counselor Nazareth brings the tank rocaille the Palace of Queluz him to put the fountain, as seen in the engraving by Albrecht Haupt of the Royal Palace.
1885, January 20 - final registration of José Manuel Monteiro in his favor that domain and the payment of two forums, one hundred reis and a chicken on orchard, garden and Brazil nut, and another fifty reis and an orchard on chicken, both with laudénio of ten, the copyholder, in this case the Baron Regaleira, you had to pay every year around Christmas time.
1885-15 In December 1885 Dies D. Fernando II, making the Countess legatária of all his possessions, including the Palace and Park of Pena. His body lies beside D. Maria II, his first wife, in the Pantheon of Braganza, in São Vicente de Fora, Lisbon. To the death of D. Fernando still had some work in progress in Pena.
1885 - Construction of Ramp Pena and access roads to farms.
1885 - Francis Cook widower, remarried home to an American, the daughter of R. B. Caflin, New York, The Gardener's Chronicle publishes an article by C. A. M. Carmichael with detailed description of the garden and with an engraving.
1885 - Acquisition of three sites in the Serra de Sintra to the making of a summer house on the spot, by Victor Carlos Sassetti.
1885 - Date of construction of the house by erecting sent Carlos Mourato Rome (Villa Roma) former Director of Treasury and liberal politician with knowledge of Europe, through many readings that have influenced the choice of English style to adopt in the house. The land has been purchased by Marquis Beach, his friend, who owned a large farm in the area. The project was commissioned to house a plasterer and painter who was to restore the rooms Seteais and later designs decorating the Fifth Clock.
1885 - D. Louis offers a banquet at the Royal Palace explorers of Africa: Brito Capelo and Roberto Ivens.
1886, May 22 - The Future King Carlos and the future Queen Amelia of Orleans (Kings of Portugal from 1889) spend honeymoon villa in Quinta do watch.
1886-The Francis Cook is granted in England, the hereditary title of Baronet, becoming Sir. Francis Cook.
1886/1890 - Building the Chalet Biester, second draft José Luís Monteiro.
1886 - In the Parque da Pena conducting an inventory of the flora of the park.
1886 - According to an illustration of Haupt in the Royal Palace staircase of the main facade was located to the left giving direct access to a rectangular door open on the 1st broken bow, with the following entaipados and fitted with double windows in arched.
1886 - Foundation of the village of Praia das Macas with the construction of the road between the Lowland Colares and Praia das Macas. This road which was made in collaboration with a committee of Albuquerque Luiz Almeida, Joaquim António Gusmão and Mazziotti.
1887 - Inauguration of the train, linking Lisbon to Sintra.
1887 - The work of planting and maintaining the gardens of the Palace of Monserrate are delivered to Walter Oates.
1887 - Date of construction of the fountain and the lake at Villa Roma, served by water from an area of 19 hectares acquired for its supply.
1888 - Publication of the novel The Mayans of Jane Austen, passing up many of its episodes in Sintra.
1888 - Demolition of the "Arc of the Marquis," near the Fonte da Pipa
1888 - Romance In "The Mayans", Eca de Queiroz refers to the abandonment of the palace Seteais.
1888 - A guide to Sintra this date refers to the source of Pisões still in its eighteenth-century version.
1889, June 25 - the Pena Palace is acquired by the state, buy it for 310 stories. The Countess d'Edla retains ownership of the Chalet and Park. Began to be used regularly during the summer by Queen Amelia.
1889, July-the Seteais is mortgaged to the Company provisionally General Credit Building Portuguese Firm Fonseca, Santos & Viana.
1889, November - garnishment Seteais in favor of Dominic Francis of Assisi, John Oliva and José Narciso da Silva Daniel Tavares.
1889 - Date of stained glass, French and with the inscriptions "Hubert - Paris" and "Vert Champ" on Saturday Ernesto Biester.
1889 - Burnswick describes the Capuchin Convent as "situated in the center d'a sad loneliness, surrounded by aridity and by açoutado vendavaes (...), this small monastery open the rock and containing a dozen cellas in quaes (badly) if could move their wretched inhabitants "
1890, April 30 - Registration of the building Regaleira in favor of Carlos Paul Allen, 3rd Baron Regaleira, after the death of his mother, D. Maria Isabel Allen, with a value of $ 32 500 000 reis.
1890, August 22. - On the death of D. Carlota Franzini, the property of the Convent of the Trinity passes to his daughter, D. Augusta Franzini Carlota de Almeida Soares and her husband, Gen. Alexandre Diogo de Almeida Soares.
1890 to 1923 - construction of ornamental ponds at Quinta de Monserrate.
1890 - Draft of the village Sasseti (Thursday Friendship) authored by Luigi Manini.
1890 - Foundation of the Association of Volunteer Firefighters Sintra
1891 - On Thursday Regaleira are detached two lands, where there were two tanks.
1891 - Latino Coelho dies at his home in Sintra.
1892 - The Skinny is acquired by Conde Almedina.
1892 15 October - Eduardo Leal and Manuel Antonio Maltez on Mount Fleuri painted wood panels, which once decorated the top of the balcony, as can be read in one of the existing wooden boards.
1893, June 15 - party organized at Mercy Hospital, during the visit of the royal family to Sintra.
1893, October 31 - Thursday's public auction of the mortgaged debt Regaleira the third baron Regaleira.
1893 31 October - the Baron's wife and Regaleira sell the farm Quinta da Regaleira Dr. António Augusto Carvalho Monteiro,
1893, December 11 - is acquired by António Augusto Carvalho Monteiro (Monteiro known as the Million) for registration with 21,100 actual transmission of full duties. It also acquires the plot of orchard gardens and Brazil nut who were in possession of José Manuel Monteiro, and the two plots that had been detached in 1891. Along with the land he had bought the Marquis Beach and the fifth Monforte assumes its present form.
1893 - The Sintra Town Council decides to approve the project and lease, the Antonio Pereira Brandao Sarmento and Maria João da Silva, installation and operation of street lighting by gas.
1893 - Demolition of the porch of the old market town of medieval origin (documented since the dawn of the fourteenth century), by resolution of the Board chaired by Viscount of Idanha.
1894-16 April - registration of ownership of the Friendship Farm, having a plot this garden and the house completed.
1894 - Mid - Luigi Manini has a new plan to extend the building of the Friendship Sunday, adding to the property some military-inspired elements, which would not be realized.
1894 - Inauguration of the new Market Village; There are complaints against the presence of the chain in the center of the village, "by virtue of taking prisoners, through the bars, indecent attitudes, and also for having little capacity to be normal are living in smaller with thieves and murderers, so in moral danger '.
1894/1896 - Leandro Braga works in the decoration and furniture of the hall, dining room, office and chapel in Villa Ernesto Biester.
1895 - He was sent to the Battle of Marracuene a contingent of hunters Sintra.
1895 - Carvalho Monteiro order to architect Henri Lusseau projects to a mansion, stables and garden; Carvalho Monteiro rejects them and ordering another project Luigi Manini, who designed every detail minutely the Palace of Regaleira, to run, recruited employees "School of Arts freedom of design".
1896, June 20 - Carvalho Monteiro purchase the Marquis Beach and Monforte, Antonio Borges House and Sousa Dias, a parcel of land that was part of Camp Seteais for the sum of $ 2,250 000 reis.
1897, October 6 - Minutes of meeting of the Board, realizing that the Earl of Azambuja intended to close the Field Seteais.
1897 - The lighthouse electric Cabo da Roca starts working with a booking system composed of an oil lamp 3-twisted, the optical apparatus was 4 th order, and the rotation is produced by a clockwork mechanism; comes into operation a Mermaid steam (beep).
1898 - Start of construction of the palace on the foundations of the former home of Baron Regaleira. Carvalho Monteiro decided to build a palace on the roadside, not only by sight, but because it wanted to acquire Quinta Clock, which is across the street and connect it to Regaleira across a bridge. The stone used in the construction of the quarry is brought Outil, near Coimbra.
1899 - Carvalho Monteiro and family already living on the farm, in a small house known as Casa Renaissance.
1898 - The fifth of Espingardeiro belonged to the 2nd Earl of Caparica, D. Francisco Xavier de Meneses (1854-1914), son of the 2nd Marquess of Valada, in that same year to sell the 2nd Viscount Soares Franco, Francisco Soares Franco (b. 1852).
1899 - This marks the centenary of the birth of Almeida Garrett, unveiling a plaque with verses of the poem Camões (corner V, verse XIII) in the current broad Dr. Carlos France.
1899 - Clean the clock in the Clock Tower which was effected not at least 4 years, so it was stopped.
1899-4 February - in commemoration of the centenary of the birth of the Viscount of Almeida Garrett spent Pisões of the road to call up Garrett Avenue and a headstone was placed at the entrance to this avenue in the wall on the left that was the old Marquis of Quinta Velha Pombal.
Century 18, the end - the building that is now the Toy Museum is used by the House of town council of the Municipality of Sintra.
Century 19, final - Central hote construction, along with being Lawrence's Hotel, Hotel Victor Netto and one of the most frequented by the aristocracy and the bourgeoisie Lisbon.
Century 19, final - Lawrence's Hotel is acquired by Miguel Gallway, which expands the building, yielding a plot to install a pastry. It was there that the first manufactured in 1900 bean cakes, and it appears, also the first cheesecakes.
Century 19, the end - the administrator of the Forest Service, Carlos Nogueira, sends undertake various works in the castle and chapel, whose apse was placed in a wooden door, adapting it to the barn.
Century 19, the end / sec. 20, beginning - the Palace of Sintra serves as the summer residence of D. And Carlos D. Amelia, who ran on the same drawings.
1900 - Construction of the chapel of St. Sebastian Thursday.
1900-Born in Sintra, the writer Francisco Costa.